Travel to Malaysia from Philippines: Travel Requirements, Quarantine Rules, etc.
Travel insurance is no longer required for travel to Malaysia.
by Ina Louise Manto | June 24, 2022
Ready to use your passport again? A number of Southeast Asian countries have opened their borders this year, including Malaysia. If you’re planning to visit this year or including Malaysia as a part of your inter-country itinerary, here are important travel requirements to prepare for:
Is Malaysia open to tourists?
Yes, Malaysia is open to tourists. After closing its borders in 2020, the Southeast Asian country fully reopened to international travelers beginning April 1, 2022.
Who can travel to Malaysia from Philippines?
Malaysia’s borders are open to both vaccinated and unvaccinated local and foreign travelers.
Do you need a visa to enter Malaysia?
Filipinos don’t need a visa to enter Malaysia for tourism.
Travel requirements to travel to Malaysia from Philippines
According to Malaysia’s Health Ministry, you need to prepare the following:
- Register and activate the MySejahtera App, available on iOS and Android.
- The application will require you to provide travel details, vaccination status, and pre-departure test results (for unvaccinated and partially-vaccinated travelers).
- Children traveling with parents may be registered as dependents of parents or legal guardians.
- Filled out pre-departure form in the MySejahtera app
- Verified COVID-19 vaccination certificate; you may verify it here
- Fully vaccinated travelers and those aged 17 or below (regardless of vaccination status) are exempt from presenting a pre-departure COVID-19 test
- Unvaccinated travelers are required to present a negative RT-PCR test or Rapid Antigen test result taken 2 days before departure
You may also refer to the guidelines made by the Health Ministry of Malaysia:
Fully vaccinated inbound travelers are no longer required to quarantine upon arrival. On the other hand, unvaccinated travelers are to undergo a mandatory five-day quarantine upon arrival.
Unvaccinated travelers are also required to take a Rapid Antigen Test within 24 hours of arrival in Malaysia.
Travel restrictions and health protocols
Beginning May 1, 2022, the following restrictions and health protocols apply to both locals and foreigners visiting Malaysia:
Current Malaysia COVID situation
Don’t forget to visit the following pages for more information and updates:
- Frequently Asked Questions about travel to Malaysia
- MySafeTravel Malaysia
- Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia (Health Ministry)