PSA: You Can Live and Study in South Korea for Free Under this Scholarship
Earn a masters or doctoral degree for free.
by Ina Louise Manto | February 14, 2023
Is it your dream to live and study abroad? You might want to keep on reading. The Global Korea Scholarship program is accepting applicants from the Philippines again and the best part is, everything is free. Yes, you can move to South Korea and live there for three years, study, and earn a graduate degree. You can also travel during your stay *cough* K-drama and K-pop pilgrimage *cough*. Here’s everything you need to know about this opportunity:
What is the Global Korea Scholarship?
The Global Korea Scholarship is an initiative by the Korean government that will provide 1,300 students from 138 regions with opportunities to study at different higher education institutions in Korea. Applicants may obtain graduate-level degrees, doctoral-level degrees, and research programs that promote international exchange in education and deep mutual friendship among countries.
This year, 14 Filipinos will be given the chance to earn either a graduate-level or doctoral-level degree.
What are the benefits of accepted applicants?
This scholarship covers the following:
- Roundtrip airfare tickets
- Monthly stipend (1,000,000 KRW * or approximately P42,918)
- Tuition fees
- Settlement allowance
- Scholarship Completion Grants
- Medical insurance
- Korean language training expenses
How long is the scholarship period?
The Master’s Degree Program is three years long: 1 year of Korean language program and 2 years of degree program.
On the other hand, the Doctoral Degree Program will take four years: 1 year of Korean language training and 3 years of degree program.
Who is eligible to apply?
To apply for the scholarship, you must:
- Hold citizenship of National Institute for International Education (NIIED) designated countries who are invited to the GKS program
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in the Master’s Program, a Master’s Degree in the Doctoral Program
- Have a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) score percentile of 80% or above on a 100-point scale or rank in the top 20% of the class
- Be under 40 years old (born after September 1, 1983)
- Be in good health, both physically and mentally
Applications from the following will not be accepted:
- An individual who graduated from a Korean high school or a Korean university
- An individual who has previously received a scholarship from the Korean government
- Successful candidates from the past three years who withdrew from the program or were disqualified
Documents to submit: What are the requirements?
Refer to this list of requirements:
Find the detailed information here.
When is the application period?
The application to the Global Korea Scholarship is open from February 10, 2023 to February 28, 2023, no later than 4 PM.
Where can I submit the requirements?
You may send your application to this address:
c/o GKS In-charge
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
122 Upper McKinley Road,
McKinley Town Center,
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City 1634
Looking for other places to explore? Join WindowSeat.ph’s official Facebook community What’s Your Trip PH for more recos!