BOOKMARK: MECQ Guidelines for the Metro Manila and Laguna Lockdown in August 2021
Metro Manila and Laguna will be under MECQ until the end of August 2021.
by Ina Louise Manto | August 20, 2021
As the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), the strictest lockdown category in the Philippines, expires on August 20, 2021, the IATF has announced that Metro Manila together with Laguna, would be downgraded to Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) until the end of the month, amid the surge in COVID-19 cases with Delta variant. Here’s a quick rundown of guidelines under this community quarantine category:
What is MECQ?
Though PH is still recording 5-digit daily cases, the government placed NCR, Laguna, and Bataan under the more relaxed…
Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine is the transition between ECQ and GCQ where temporary measures are relaxed, according to the IATF’s Omnibus Guidelines. It is the second strictest lockdown among the four categories. Unlike ECQ, there will be no ayuda or financial assistance to Filipinos under this quarantine category.
Who is allowed to go out?
Individuals allowed to go out during MECQ are just the same as ECQ: those aged 18 to 65 years old who are APORs or Authorized Personnel Outside of Residence.
According to the omnibus guidelines issued by the IATF, the following are considered APORs or Authorized Personnel Outside Residence:
- Health and emergency frontline services and uniformed personnel
- Government officials and employees on office travel
- Duly authorized humanitarian assistance actors
- Persons traveling for medical or humanitarian reasons
- Those leaving their residence for a vaccination with proof of schedule
- Persons availing of DFA consular services with confirmed appointments
- Persons going to and from the airport, including OFWs with Overseas Employment Certificates
- Persons traveling for work, business, or activity permitted in areas under ECQ
- Public utility vehicle operators
Worker APORs need to bring their certificate of employment and employment ID when going out while consumer APORs need to bring quarantine passes, as required by their LGU of residence.
Which activities are allowed under MECQ?
During MECQ, indoor dine-in services, outdoor dine-in services, beauty parlors or salons, and barbershops will remain closed.
Religious activities, wakes, weddings, and baptisms shall operate only in 10% capacity. It may also be increased up to 30% capacity, depending on the LGU
Interzonal (different quarantine classification) and intrazonal (same quarantine classification) travel from NCR Plus Areas are only allowed for APORs.
Bataan will also be under MECQ beginning August 23, 2021 until the end of the month.
As of August 19, 2021, the Philippines has recorded over 1,790,000 COVID-19 positive cases with 111,720 active cases and 30,881 deaths.