Philippines to Vietnam: Travel Requirements, Quarantine Rules, Visa Application, Etc.
Travel to Vietnam is now quarantine-free.
by Ina Louise Manto | March 23, 2022
Home to the breathtaking Ha Long Bay, busy cities, and exciting street food and coffee culture, Vietnam is a Southeast Asian travel destination that you have to visit and experience at least once in your lifetime. Plus, a flight from Manila to Ho Chi Minh is just approximately two and a half hours away!
With Vietnam finally open to tourists again, you might be looking into visiting this year. Check out this guide with everything you need to know to prepare for your travel:
Who can travel to Vietnam from the Philippines?
After closing its borders in 2020, Vietnam has fully opened to international tourists beginning March 15, 2022.
The country partially opened in November 2021 through travel bubbles under the Sandbox program.
Requirements for travel to Vietnam from the Philippines
Ready to explore Vietnam? Here are the travel requirements you need to prepare for:
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19, with the last dose taken at least 14 days and not more than one year prior to the date of prior entry. Those who contracted the virus need to present a certificate of recovery from COVID-19, with the time between hospital discharge and entry date not exceeding six months.
- Present a negative RT-PCR test result administered within 72 hours before boarding.
- Purchase a medical or travel insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment with a minimum liability of $20,000. This usually costs $40 USD, depending on the insurance provider.
- Approved e-Visa application.
- Accomplished Health Declaration Form. You may also download the Vietnam Health Declaration App available on iOS and Android.
- Install the PC-COVID and IGOVN (Ministry of Public Health Security) applications during your stay in Vietnam.
Do you need a Visa to enter Vietnam?
Filipinos do NOT need to apply for a visa to visit Vietnam.
As of writing, Vietnam’s Visa exemption policy only applies to the following (they can stay for the indicated number of days):
- Brunei, Myanmar – visit for 14 days
- Japan, South Korea (ROK) – visit for 15 days
- The Philippines – visit for 21 days
- Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand – visit for 30 days
- Belarus, Denmark, Italy, Finland, France, Germany, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, The UK- visit for 15 days
How do I apply for Vietnam’s e-Visa?
If you don’t hold a passport from the countries above, you will need to get an e-Visa. Vietnam’s e-Visa is a single-entry visa that’s valid for 30 days.
- Here are the documents you need to prepare when applying for an e-Visa:
- One (1) 6×6 passport photo with a white background in .jpg format, without glasses
- One (1) .jpg photo of the passport data page
- A passport that’s valid for six months
- Temporary address in Vietnam, including the points of entry and exit
- Debit or credit card for e-Visa payment
- Visit Vietnam’s e-Visa portal here. Fill out the required fields, upload your images, and submit the form.
- Pay the e-Visa fee of $25 USD. Don’t forget to copy the document code.
- The e-Visa processing is currently 3 days from receipt of the documents and payment. You may also check the status of your application and download the e-Visa through the portal by logging in using your registration code, e-mail, and date of birth.
Find more details about the e-Visa application here.
Vietnam quarantine rules
As of March 17, 2022, the Ministry of Health has announced quarantine-free travel for foreign tourists. However, travelers must still self-monitor for 10 days and report to local health authorities if they experience COVID-19 symptoms.
Current Vietnam COVID situation
For more information and updates, visit the following links: