ICYMI, Filipinos Can Now Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand
Time to live out your ~slow NZ life~ dreams.
by Ina Louise Manto | September 27, 2023
A few weeks ago, Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo and Australian Ambassador to the Philippines Hae Kyong Yu signed a Memorandum of Understanding, establishing a new Work and Holiday visa arrangement, which Filipinos can start applying for in 2024. But did you know that New Zealand also has the same visa option and they’ve been offering it since 2014?
Its application period only happens once a year, and only 100 Filipinos are granted this visa. While the visa application is still closed for the rest of the year, here’s how you can prepare for the next application period:
Who can apply for the Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand?
The Working Holiday visa scheme in New Zealand allows Filipinos to stay in the country for up to 12 months and study or train for up to six months.
This visa is open to Filipino applicants aged 18 to 30 years old.
What are the requirements?
In order to meet the requirements, you need to provide the following information:
- Proof of identity (passport)
- Chest x-ray and/or medical examination
- Proof of good character
- Proof that you are 18-30 years old
- Proof of citizenship
- Genuine intentions to visit, study, or work in NZ
- A ticket to leave NZ or proof that you can afford to buy a ticket
- Proof that you have at least NZ $4,200 or PHP 142,508 to live on
- You have no previous working holiday visa approval
- Tertiary-level education
- You’re able to speak English
- Full medical insurance for the length of your stay
You can find the specific details for the criteria and evidence here.
But there are limitations
Before sending an application, remember the following:
- The visa application is only online
- You’re only allowed to work part-time jobs and can’t accept a permanent position. Also, you can’t work for the same employer for more than three months.
- You can’t bring your child/children under the working holiday visa. If you want to bring your partner, they need to send a separate application.
How much does it cost?
The Working Holiday visa costs NZD $420 or approximately PHP 14,251.
How long will it take to process the visa?
Your visa application will be processed within 23 working days.
Good luck with your application!
Looking for other places to explore? Join WindowSeat.ph’s official Facebook community What’s Your Trip PH for more recos!