The WindowSeat.ph Holy Week Guide
Where to go in Manila, Rizal, Pampanga, Calabarzon, Baguio-Sagada, Cebu and Bacolod over the Holy Week.
by WindowSeat.ph | April 10, 2017
The province of Rizal is the place to be during holy week for its pilgrimage activities in Antipolo City. Immerse yourself as you trek uphill to Antipolo cathedral.
Annual Alay Lakad and Penitential Walk: Trek with pilgrims on the eve of Maundy Thursday to show penitence to the miraculous image of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Antipolo. After which, the procession usually continues to Via Dolorosa to visit the Stations of the Cross. Expect a huge crowd in the procession as Antipolo is dubbed the Pilgrimage City
Kapitanes and Kapitanas: The Annual Easter Ball: Young men and women are chosen annually to be the Kapitanes and Kapitanas to represent the youth of the city, where they will be participating in different religious activities during the Lenten Season. And on the night before Easter Sunday, the Kapitanes and Kapitanas will be dressed in full regalia and join the Blessing of Fire and Water – an important entourage in the Salubong that is held early in the morning of Sunday.
An Easter Ball then is held at night to showcase the Kapitanes and Kapitanas to the public at the city plaza where they will then perform the traditional Cotillion dance.
What to Do
- Visit Pinto Museum (Open on Sunday): Cap off your holy week with a side trip to Pinto Museum and revel on the contemporary art pieces it houses. Click here for more details.
- Art Tour at Angono: The little town of Angono prides itself as the art capital of the Philippines, and true, a sprawl of art galleries can be found along its streets as you stroll around.
- Pililla Wind Farm: Drop by at the Pililla Wind Farm and be amazed at the enormous windmills that are source of renewable energy. Click here for more details.
- Spend a day at Mount Purro Nature Reserve: Whether you’re looking to get a relaxing massage, or want to challenge yourself by climbing a mountain – Mount Purro Nature Reserve is the place to be. Click here for more details.
What to See
- San Ildefonso Church: Visit what is aptly known as Tanay Church in Rizal. It is one of the five Jubilee churches of the Diocese of Antipolo.
- Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage Shrine: Visit the 17th century Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage Shrine at Antipolo Cathedral.
- Mystical Cave: Discover the mystery behind the Mystical Cave where holy stalagmites nad stalactite formed by water can be seen.
- Boso Boso Church: This newly-restored church during the Spanish-era possesses a quaint charm that lets you warm back time event for a moment.
- Regina RICA Sanctuary: Visit the 71-foot high image of Our Lady, Queen of the Holy Rosary. Click here for more details.
Where to Eat
- Tahanan Bistro
22 Loresville Drv, Lores Farm Subdv., Brgy. San Roque, Antipolo
0925 880 1487
Dine at Tahanan Bistro and experience eating with a view of an expansive garden and of Laguna de Bay. Click here for more details.
- Crescent Moon Café
Sapang Buho Road, Brgy. Dalig Antipolo
Enjoy a hearty meal at Crescent Moon Café where you can also learn pottery, and see the collection of Lanelle Abueva-Fernando’s handmade ceramic which can also be purchased. Click here for more details.
- 14 Four Café
144 Magnolia Lane, Gregoria Heights Subdivision, Bgy San Isidro, Taytay, Rizal
0999 888 0144
Drop by at this quirky garden café where you can relax at the garden lounge with a cup of coffee or cold iced tea for summer. Click here for more details
- Balaw Balaw Restaurant
Doña Justa Subdivision Phase 1, Angono, Rizal
Dine at the historic Balaw Balaw restaurant and savor on authentic Filipino dishes cooked in the traditional way. Visit here for more details.
- Sulok Café
2/F, Okinari Arcade Bldg along L. Sumulong Memorial Circle, San Roque, Antipolo
Sit still for a bit at Sulok Café with a mug of freshly brewed coffee and reward yourself with one of their cakes that will surely make you feel at home. Click here for more details.
Where to Stay
- Philip’s Sanctuary
Pestaño Farm, Sitio Palinglingan, Brgy San Juan, Antipolo
0917 706 0916
This eco-adventure mountain resort is the perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city without being too far. Click here for more details.
- Mount Purro Nature Reserve
Purok 5, Barangay Calawis, Antipolo
0998 561 2815
Enjoy a staycation here at this family-run forest sanctuary perfect for nature lovers and foodies alike. It’s the perfect place to commune with nature where you can also enjoy a breath-taking view of the mountains. Click here for more details.
- Seven Suits Hotel Observatory
Blk. 1 Lot 2 Hollywood Hills Subdivision, Sumulong Highway Antipolo
Get the chance to stay at the first and only hotel observatory in the Philippines. This is the place to be if you want a stunning view of the metropolis and the dazzling night sky. Click here for more details.
- Luljetta’s Hanging Gardens and Spa
Luljetta’s Hanging Gardens Spa, Loreland Farm Resort, San Roque, Antipolo
0928 627 8897
They offer the ultimate spa experience in Antipolo, where you can also dive into the majestic Laguna De Bay as you take a refreshing dip. Click here for more details.
- Date and Dine Resort
Verbena Drive, 7th Avenue, Beverly Hills Subdivision, Taytay, Rizal
Date and Dine resort is the perfect sanctuary for those looking for utmost peace and quiet with hotel standard accommodations. Click here for more details.
Check out the guide for: