The WindowSeat.ph Holy Week Guide
Where to go in Manila, Rizal, Pampanga, Calabarzon, Baguio-Sagada, Cebu and Bacolod over the Holy Week.
by WindowSeat.ph | April 10, 2017
Cebu, with its rich religious history and stunning destinations, is clearly one of the most popular and ideal places to spend the Holy Week. The fun and diverse stretch of events and activities can overwhelm you, though, so we’ve rounded up some of the best things this beautiful island has to offer this break. Scroll down to learn more about them.
- Pasko sa Kasakit Festival (Holy Thursday and Good Friday): Head to Bantayan Island and be part of the annual Pasko sa Kasakit Festival, a religious procession of life-sized statue of Jesus Christ carried in fully decorated carrozas.
- Visita Iglesia (Holy Thursday): Visit some of Cebu’s beautiful churches like the Celestial Gardens in Banawa, Cebu City, which houses life-sized Stations of the Cross. Click here to view a round-up of some churches you can include in your itinerary.
- Buhing Kalbaryo (Good Friday): Watch Buhing Kalbaryo, a traditional series of street plays depicting Jesus Christ’s life before crucifixion until his death. This will be held in different parts of Cebu City. Read more about this year’s celebration here.
- Sugat Kabanhawan Festival (Easter Sunday): Sugat (Cebuano for “meeting”) is a highly anticipated festival during Easter Sunday in Minglanilla, the “Sugat Capital of the South.” Celebrate Christ’s resurrection with their slew of unique activities such as games, street dance, processions and live re-enactment of Jesus Christ and Mama Mary’s meeting.
- Haladaya Festival (Easter Sunday): Haladaya is a celebration in honor of St. Rose de Lima, the patron saint of Daanbantayan. Witness the province’s colorful activities such as beauty pageants, street dancing competition and grand parade on Easter Sunday.
What to Do
- Isla Music Festival: Invite your friends to this much-awaited festival in the beautiful island of Bantayan this April 12-15. Jam to the hits of OPM acts like Urbandub and Franco, and rave until sunrise with music by Cebu and Manila DJs. Buy your tickets here.
- 5-in-1 Water Sports Activities in Mactan: Maximize your stay in the breathtaking Mactan Island and try their water activities– parasailing, snorkeling, jet ski ride, banana boat, among others. You can even go on a picnic by the beach! Book a package now.
- Scuba Diving at Malapascua Island: Learn scuba diving by signing up at the dive center of Malapscua Exotic Island Dive and Beach Resort. You can choose from their wide array of package at your own convenience. Contact them here.
- Canyoneering in Moalboal: Travel personality Drew Arellano calls his trip to Moalboal as his “best trip,” and the canyoneering experience in this place is definitely one-of-a-kind. See for yourself by availing a package here.
- Snorkeling at Pescador Island: Can’t get enough of Moalboal? The island holds a lot of surprises—you can even do snorkeling, sea turtle watching and island hopping here! Book for a package here.
What to See
- Lake Danao: Take a break from the bustling crowd and find solace in the refreshing environment of Lake Danao in San Francisco, Camotes Island. The view of the lake is exquisite, and the park enclosing it is just the perfect nature retreat where you can go boating and picnicking.
- Osmena Peak: Witness the multiple jagged hills on top of Osmena Peak, Cebu’s highest point. Located in Mantalungon, Dalaguete, the hills slightly resembles to Bohol’s chocolate hills and the view will remind you of the Batanes’ lush of greenery. And the hike is actually easier than you think.
- Tops Skyline Garden: This may be an overrated destination in Busay, Cebu, but its panoramic view of the city is something you definitely don’t want to miss.
- Tumalog Falls In the town of Oslob lies this stunning waterfalls with a unique horseshoe shape. Take a dip in its crystal clear waters and be awed with its enchanting environment.
- Mt. Manunggal: Mt. Manunggal in Balamban is a historic mountain where our former president Ramon Magsaysay met his doom after a plane crash. But don’t let that story scare you, the mountain is definitely an easy hike, probably because it looks more like a highland.
Where to Eat
- No. 9 Restaurant
Benedicto Street, Cebu City
+63 32 253 9518 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Operating hours: Dinner (5 p.m. to 12 a.m.), Monday to Sunday
Taste their delicious menu of rustic Spanish cuisine and have a chill dinner night with family and friends in their intimate, ancestric place. Click here for the menu.
- Hala! Paella
Cuenco Avenue, Cebu City
+63 32 344 4252
Operating hours: 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
This little eatery offers delicious Spanish cuisine in cheap prices. You can try their solo paella meal for up to Php 138! See their menu here.
- Zubuchon Lechon
See their branches and holy week schedule here.
Ask any Cebuano and they will definitely mention Zubuchon’s crunchy lechon as a classic favorite. Aside from this, they also offer native dishes like gamba, dinugdog, sizzling boneless bangus, and other mouthwatering specials that you will crave for next time.
- Adventure Cafe
Cebu Transcentral Highway, Balamban, Cebu
+63 999 681 2339
Operating hours: Holy Thursday – 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Good Friday – closed; Black Saturday – resume of operations (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
Have a sip of their best tasting hot chocolate after an hour of fun outdoor activities. Enjoy different adventures such as zipline, stress wall and wall climbing. Click here for more info.
- Casa Verde
This American-style casual dining restaurant is the perfect place for a laid-back vibe with family and friends. Their ribs is definitely a must-try! Visit one of their four branches in Cebu. See their menu here.
Where to Stay
- Radisson Blu Cebu
Serging Osmeña Blvd., cor. Juan Luna Ave., Mabolo, Cebu City
+63 (32) 402 9900, +63 (32) 505 1700 | email@example.com
Experience a premium accommodation in this 5-star hotel overlooking the amazing view of the city. Room rates start at Php 5-7,000—a little pricey, but the service is topnotch. You can also take part in their exciting Easter events! Book your stay here.
- Malapascua Exotic Island Dive and Beach Resort
Malapascua Island, Daanbatayan
(+63) 32-516 2990, (+63) 917-3276689, (+63) 999-9976601 | firstname.lastname@example.org
You don’t want to leave Malapascua without diving! Stay at Malapascua Exotic Island Dive and Beach Resort and cap off the holy week by trying their water activities that will surely make your vacation memorable. See the rates here.
- Chambre Hotel
UA Ybañez Street, Pajo Lapu-lapu City
(+63 32) 341-0066, 494-0184, (+63) 956-500-8045, +63) 933-679-0694 | email@example.com
This budget hotel is just what you need when you want a clean and comfortable place to stay after a whole day of festivities. Experience their Cebuano hospitality by booking here.
- Quest Hotel and Conference Center
Archbishop Reyes Avenue, Cebu City
+63 32 4025999, +63 32 2305888, +63 917 3129794
Stay at this 3-star hotel and experience quality and comfort at an affordable rate. Its extensive services and facilities make it a good choice for families and groups. Book here.
- Nalusuan Island Resort
Olango Reef, Cordova, Mactan
(032) 516-6432, 516-6435, (+63) 9173221033, 9255565610 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a refreshing escape in this accommodation by the beach which offers fun water sports and activities. They even have boat transfers and island hopping for their guests. Book through their official website.
Check out the guide for: